This is a comprehensive guide on how to start a blog. In this guide, you will learn how to start a blog that makes money in Kenya.
A few years back, people started blogs to document their daily lives, express their emotions and experiences, basically, a daily diary. Very few people were running blogs that could make them money.
Today, that has changed and many bloggers are making money with their blogs with one of the highest-earning bloggers earning a whopping $40,000/monthly. Even here in Kenya, some bloggers are making a decent living with their blogs. Here is proof that Kenyan bloggers are also making a fortune from their blog business. And so can you. This guide is to help you be among the top-earning bloggers in Kenya.
But how do you begin this journey?
First, let’s cover some of the terminologies you will come across as you begin the journey to starting your blog.
Domain name. This is simply the name of your blog. For example, the domain name of this blog is Thriveys.com. A domain name is bought. This is done on sites I will cover later on in this article.
Hosting. This is simply a home for your blog. Different sites provide this home for your blog as you will see below while I recommend the best web host with the best offers.
Niche. This is the specific topic that your blog will be about.
Self-hosted. This is a form of running your blog privately. Owning your own dotcom. There are many advantages of having a self-hosted blog as opposed to a free blog site.
Free hosted site. For this, you don’t pay for the domain name or the hosting. Your blog will have a name such as yourdomainname.wordpress.com or yourdomainname.blogspot.com. With this site, you do not own the domain you are using and you have less options of customizing your blog.
Now that you know a few terms, you’re ready to start this journey.
Step by step guide on how to start a blog that makes money in Kenya
Disclosure.This article contains affiliate links. This means I may receive a small commission at no extra cost to you for any purchases made.
Follow these steps if you want a money-making blog. These are the initial plans on starting a blog.
1. Pick a niche.
You have to be specific about what you want to blog about. Most people consider blogging as storytelling only. This is rarely a money-making blog. Stories are very interesting yes but what revenue are they bringing? Should be the question.
Here I am talking about a blog that will increase your income. Make money as you sleep here in Kenya.
What to consider as you choose your niche in Kenya
- Knowledge about the specific topic
- Skills you have
- Experience in the field
and most importantly,
- Monetization strategy– how your blog will make you money
Some of the best niches in Kenya and how you can monetize
- Finances blog. Help people manage their finances. This will gain more readers as more people want to know how they can save an extra coin here in Kenya.
- Tech blog. How you can earn with this is by, affiliate marketing of different tech brands from Amazon to Kenyans.
- Weight loss blog. Sell guides on how to lose weight, promote products that help in losing weight at a commission.
- Food blog. Sell cookbooks, promote some food products/brands/food joints in Kenya at a commission.
- Travel blog. Promote the best hotels, destinations in Kenya at a commission.
- List blog. Make lists of the best …. in Kenya. Gets more traffic. You can earn here through affiliate marketing.
Your first consideration as you choose a niche should be, are people searching for what you want to blog about?
Most experts advise that you should niche down. For example, if you want to blog about clothes, niche it down as follows: clothes-dresses-bodycon dresses-bodycon dresses for plus size ladies-bodycon dresses for plus size ladies in Kenya.
At the end of the niche down, your blog will be about bodycon dresses for plus size ladies in Kenya.
For such a niche, if you have 5 readers, most probably 4 of them are potential buyers as opposed to blogging about the general topic, clothes, where you have 10 readers and 1 or none buys what you are selling.
If you want to start a blog that makes money in Kenya, first write down your goals on how you plan to monetize it.
Ways you can monetize your blog.
Want to get started?
Create your money-making blog today at only $3.95 (around Ksh. 420) per month (a total of Ksh.5000/year for the first year) at Bluehost the best hosting company I would recommend as a blogger myself.
2. Choose your domain name and start a blog that makes money in Kenya
As described above, a domain name is what your blog will be referred to as. The name of your blog. The best domain and web hosting provider I would recommend is Bluehost.
With offers such as, get a free domain for the first year you register with them, as a beginner you can’t afford to miss such a chance. Anyway who doesn’t like freebies?
Apply here to get your free domain today before the offer expires. The steps to follow are below.
To register a domain name here in Kenya would cost roughly $10 (around Ksh. 1070) but with my link, you will get a free domain from Bluehost.
What you will need to register your domain name in Kenya
With an email address and a credit card, you can register your blog’s domain name from the comfort of your room.
Recommendations before you pick a domain name
- Domain extension. Pick a dotcom extension. While there are many extensions to pick from (.me, .info, .co.ke, .org) a .com would be best since it’s common, hence easy to remember. A dotcom extension is also more trustworthy.
- Avoid the use of hyphens and numbers. This is just to avoid having a complicated name.
- Avoid using complex words. Be creative while choosing your domain name but be cautious of using complex terms. Pick a name that is easy to remember and is not easily misspelled.
- Choose a name that is related to your brand/niche. Let the name of your blog introduce what your blog is all about. You can also use your name as your domain name. This can give you room to expand or change the niche you pick without having to buy another domain.
Some techniques you can use to find the right name for your blog
- What benefit are your readers getting? For example, helpmonetizeyourblog.com. It clearly shows that, here, you will get tips on how to monetize your blog.
- Name it according to your niche. For example, for a food blog, you could use kenyasbestcakerecipes.com. See how I have niched it down?
- Give your audience a name. For example, smartbloggers.com. You have referred to your readers as smart bloggers.
Still can’t come up with a name? Use these name-generating tools as a guide.
NOTE: Don’t waste time trying to come up with a catchy name. You may find that, a name you choose is already taken or eventually you may want to change the name you picked.
Your domain name can also be a short sentence. For example, kenyatotheworld.com
3.Pick a blog hosting company and register your domain
A host is like a home for your blog where your files are kept safe and secure. This is a critical decision to make when you want to start a blog that makes money in Kenya.
A web host provider contributes to the way your blog will run, hence you should not compromise on the web host you choose. Only choose the best.
Some factors you should consider before choosing a web host are:
- Customer service
Bluehost assures you of all these. I can confidently say it is the best web host company.
Their offer on a free domain for the first year is an opportunity you should not miss.
How to get started with Bluehost-the best blog host provider
If you use this link, you will get a discount.
Step 2: Choose a plan
There are four plans to choose from; Basic, Plus, Choice Plus, and Pro. For a beginner or someone with a tight budget, I would recommend you pick the basic plan at $3.95 (around Ksh. 420) per month, (a total of Ksh.5000/year for the first year).
Don’t forget the free domain.
If you want an upgrade, to access more features like domain privacy, you can upgrade later by contacting their customer support through their email. Another pro is that they have 24/7 customer support.
Step 3: Enter your domain name
After choosing your hosting plan, you will be directed to a page where you will be required to key in the domain of your choice.
If you find it is taken, or you are not sure about the name you want, you can skip this step and do it later.
Remember, you get it for free for the first year.
Step 4: Enter your personal details.
Next you will be required to fill in your account information. Fill the spaces correctly and move on to the next step.
Step 5: Scroll down below to the package information
Here, select the payment package you want. you can choose to pay for one year, two years or three years upfront.
If you are certain you will be blogging for years to come, I would recommend you pick the three years package to get a discount.
NOTE: You will pay less if you choose to pay annually instead of monthly.
Step 6: Review the package extras
Remember to uncheck the boxes on the package extras. They are not necessary and I know you also don’t need extra costs.
Step 7: Choose a payment method
You can either pay using your credit card or PayPal.
Final step: Submit your information
Now all you need to do is click on submit and start your blog set up. Remember to tick the little box on terms of service.
After submitting, now create an account and set up the password.
Congratulations, you can now start a blog that makes money in Kenya. Enjoy the best services from the best blog host.
Advantages of choosing Bluehost as your hosting service
- You get a free domain
- Your site will hardly ever go down (no downtime)
- Get 24/7 customer support if you have any query
- 4 hosting options you can choose from
Still haven’t hosted your blog at Bluehost? You are missing out.
The next stage is to install WordPress and customize it. Your blog will now be live. Start writing and make that money. I recommend WordPress because of its beginner guide. You don’t have to be a tech person to understand how to work on WordPress.
You now officially own a blog. Now go and thrive.